Death...Reflections...
This weekend, we learned of a sad situation regarding a local community member. He took his own life on Saturday. He had been married twice, has two boys and a couple former step daughters, and had suffered with demons of his own for a while.
Apparently, he'd had all he could take, and ended his journey on this earth. He is now pain free, and has been set free from the handcuffs of his earthly vices. I'm told that interventions were attempted many times, but to no avail, obviously.
It is so hard to hear things like this as a Christian, and as a community member. Yes, we are relieved that he is with our Savior and is released from his bondage, but there is eternal hope and sanctity in having a good relationship with Jesus. I find it hard to believe that he really was able to absorb the Word in its entirety. Why would he take his own life if he truly understood it? Clearly, I have not come to terms with someone nearly my age (or any age) leaving the planet by choice...
I just can't help but wish there was something more I could have done to help him in his journey. And I suppose there are many who are feeling the same way. I am truly saddened that I didn't do more, that I didn't know more, and that I didn't pray more.
My prayers and thoughts continue to go up on account of the family and friends affected by the loss. Suicide (attempted or succesful) is an illness. I am not tremendously familiar with the issue (and hope to never be!), but I guess I just feel like our community let him down. Is this right? I know it can't be prevented because he made the choice, but it is something totally foreign to me!!!!
My heart is heavy for those who are left behind to mourn the loss, and I wouldn't want his death to be in vain. What can our community learn from this? What signs or symptoms can we recognize earlier on? How, if in any way, could we have stepped in?
Clearly, this has raised some questions in my mind... I stand tall in my faith, strong as ever, but just wish that I had His divine wisdom.
I will pray that God gives strength to those left behind, that they may learn of His goodness and abundant love. I will pray that God walks with them in this journey of healing, and carries them through the "muddy spots" in the path of life...
Apparently, he'd had all he could take, and ended his journey on this earth. He is now pain free, and has been set free from the handcuffs of his earthly vices. I'm told that interventions were attempted many times, but to no avail, obviously.
It is so hard to hear things like this as a Christian, and as a community member. Yes, we are relieved that he is with our Savior and is released from his bondage, but there is eternal hope and sanctity in having a good relationship with Jesus. I find it hard to believe that he really was able to absorb the Word in its entirety. Why would he take his own life if he truly understood it? Clearly, I have not come to terms with someone nearly my age (or any age) leaving the planet by choice...
I just can't help but wish there was something more I could have done to help him in his journey. And I suppose there are many who are feeling the same way. I am truly saddened that I didn't do more, that I didn't know more, and that I didn't pray more.
My prayers and thoughts continue to go up on account of the family and friends affected by the loss. Suicide (attempted or succesful) is an illness. I am not tremendously familiar with the issue (and hope to never be!), but I guess I just feel like our community let him down. Is this right? I know it can't be prevented because he made the choice, but it is something totally foreign to me!!!!
My heart is heavy for those who are left behind to mourn the loss, and I wouldn't want his death to be in vain. What can our community learn from this? What signs or symptoms can we recognize earlier on? How, if in any way, could we have stepped in?
Clearly, this has raised some questions in my mind... I stand tall in my faith, strong as ever, but just wish that I had His divine wisdom.
I will pray that God gives strength to those left behind, that they may learn of His goodness and abundant love. I will pray that God walks with them in this journey of healing, and carries them through the "muddy spots" in the path of life...

Comments