This past weekend, we traveled to Deadwood with my “work family”, and had a great time. Some of the guys went golfing up near Sturgis (Boulder Canyon) during the morning, but most of us ladies had spent the morning checking out the sales in the citywide garage sales. We started off the trip by meeting together at the office and “caravan-ing” the ladies to the Prairie Berry Winery. With Jason’s back being injured recently, he wasn’t up for golf, so he decided to be our “DD”…
I had never been to a wine tasting, nor a winery, and never had been to Prairie Berry. It snowed on us on the way up (see photo at right). What an enjoyable experience it was! We were allowed to try up to five wines, (only a half an ounce each), so I tried a variety, albeit most of them were the sweet wines. I am just not a fan of dry or bitter wines. I ended up purchasing some of their infamous “Red Ass Rhubarb” and some “Calamity Jane”. Between us six girls, we ended up purchasing a case (which was good, because we got a better price that way), and with our gift cards from the Cullers’ family for Christmas, we got all that wine for about $50.00!! We tasted their wine, as well as the cheeses and a few other snacks they had.
Here's a link to their website: Prairie Berry Winery
We had to be in Deadwood for supper, so once we were finished, we headed out for the “Dead of the Wood”… We met up with the guys, got checked into our hotel rooms, and prepared for a drink before supper. We went to Saloon # 10 for a half hour, and then moved upstairs to The Social Club for a wonderful (and I DO MEAN WONDERFUL) meal, topped only by the cheesecake they brought us for dessert. :D
After that, we headed out to do a little gambling. Our office gives us a little money to gamble on, and we had received some money as gifts for our anniversary. We gambled for a little bit here and there, jumped around to a few different casinos, and just chilled for a little bit. We stopped at the Franklin later in the evening, and up until that point, I had just been maintaining at my level of cash I’d brought with me. However, I decided to take a risk (which I thought at the penny machines I’d been playing was rather small), but I managed to rake in about $500.00. I was floored, but way excited. I cashed out, and took my slip to the cashier. Jason and I placed the money in a safe place, and we went on our merry little way. We ended up at a karaoke bar before the night was through, and that was great, as well. I really enjoyed seeing some of my coworkers cut loose and have a good time. I got some great videos and a few photos, and plan to use those as blackmail later on… Hahahaha!
Here is just one of the photos I took -- Katie was dancing to the wedding song, and Charlie decided he'd join in... All had plenty of liquor in them by this point...
We also toured a few of the other casinos before we turned in for the night. We found some neat things -- following are a few photos of those.
We found a Patsy Cline record framed with a piece of the original wreckage that Patsy died in. Spencer looked at this photo when I showed him, and said, "Mom. Look! It's YOU with BROWN hair!!" Have I told you how much I love that boy?!?!?!?!? :0D
Me and my honey on our anniversary!
Finally about 3am, we decided enough was enough. It was time for some sleep. But of course, when I drink, I am usually "up with the sun", and it held true then, as well. I was awake at about 7am, so I tried to be as quiet and still as possible, so as not to wake Jason up for a little while longer. About 8, we were up and headed to breakfast. We ate with one of my co-workers and his wife, and saw most of our "crew" while we were eating.
We cleaned things up and headed out for Rapid City, to make a few stops, and grab some lunch. It was nice and relaxing, but I WAS SO FLIPPING TIRED! On the way home, we stopped at one of the junctions at a deserted gas station and took a half hour nap, so we could continue the trek home.
We arrived in Chadron just in time to catch the kids finishing up with my niece's play, and we met them and my folks for supper at Pizza Hut, and Mom and Dad had a patio set (table/chairs/umbrella) for us as a gift. My, oh my, we are spoiled...





Comments