The Spirit Within

Have you ever had one of those sermons that just really stuck with you for a week or so, and really made you think? Hopefully you have had more than several, but I really wanted to share this Easter Sunrise service message with you, as it has had more of an impact I think than even I am willing to admit.

I won't give you the name of the individual that gave the sermon, (we'll call him John) but he is an individual within our church that recently gave his life to God. He spoke much more eloquently than I will retell the story, but I hope I can do it justice...

The same year John was born, his Dad left for Vietnam, leaving him and his Mom alone. Dad did make it back to the states after the war, but never did return to their home. He was into drugs and alcohol pretty badly, and just never came home.

John told us about his Mom, a year later, entering into a 30+ year relationship with another woman. He felt a lot of shame and guilt because of this relationship, and found himself, as a teenager, getting into alot of trouble, because he didn't know how to handle those emotions. He and his friends soon found out that a close member of their inner circle of friends had committed suicide. This led John to a huge fear of dying, forcing him to spiral out of control for many more years, with drug abuse, promiscuity, and alcohol abuse.

In late 2008, he was feeling physically sick. He just felt worse and worse as the days passed. Finally, he felt he had to call in sick for work, but was just going to take a good long nap before he went in for the night shift. During this nap, he had a dream.

Jesus came to him in this dream, and asked him why he was feeling so ill. He explained to Jesus his fear of dying, and the emotions he'd had over the past years dealing with his mom's relationship, his Dad's lack of interest in his family, and other things.

John said Jesus told him that this black, empty feeling he'd had for so many years would be now lifted from his shoulders, and he'd be well again. He was told to baptize his daughter, and get his family involved in church. Jesus threw this burden, this black, empty feeling over his shoulder, and told him to go and do what He'd said.

When he woke up from this nap, he felt well again, like he could run 6 miles, and he'd never felt that way before. Amazing!

That day, this man approached our pastor, arranged for the baptism of his youngest daughter, and has been active in our church since then.

I'm sure that the Holy Spirit works in all of us, and in different ways. We, who have faith, and believe are truly blessed!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nada

Christmas Lists